Thursday, March 3, 2011

So Whats Going On?

Just once again wanted to update you all on how things are going here. My goals are still where they were the last time I posted so I'm not going to bore you all with them again. However; there has been a new development here at home. I'm planning my LEGAL wedding. Hubby and I are not in the eyes of the state legally married and for some of our blood relatives this is a problem and so we are going to seek the piece of paper marriage. It is also a problem for me because without the little piece of paper from the government I cannot get health insurance. There are also a myriad of other personal reasons for us to seek this union but as so many of you already know planning a wedding is HARD, and very stressful. I can see the blessing in it because the stress has given me over to a bit of a Spiritual awakening that has already proven a boon to my life and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

The first phase was some dream visitations from my totem animals. Dreaming of animals wouldn't have caught my eye if timing hadn't been so good. Dreaming of a totem animal in of itself might not be noticeable to me but dreaming of two in the space of a week really woke me up (pun intended). I had been struggling with my day to day Pagan-is and it allowed me to find a new wellspring of belief and reminded me that while I might not be doing hour long complicated rituals I can see my everyday life as an example of my Pagan practice. Hestia also came calling to me in a much louder sense and I have been exploring her worship more fully and feeling her out so to speak. She has been this great mysterious Goddess figure for so long now I've gone and found out who she is. It's always boggled my mind why someone who has only ever really worked within the Celtic framework would be so called by a Greek (or the Roman Vestia) Goddess but I guess it's just going to have to remain a mystery right now.

As part of the call from Hestia (or maybe it is why she called to me in the first place) I have also been getting the call to dress in what is called a Plain sort of fashion; Head covering included. Which as a self-identified feminist just seems crazy. However I am fond of dresses and skirts of Amish design and the Quakers also. The head covering is a little jarring because I had always thought of this as a monotheist practice. Internet to the rescue! I have found so many blog posts about other Pagans and their struggles with the choice to cover their heads for many reasons. Plus youtube videos wahoo! So I have come to the compromise that since most women do not cover their heads until they are married (in any tradition) I will get myself some coverings (my birthday is coming up) and wear them on a trail basis until after the wedding when I will make a more permanent commitment to covering or chose not to do so at all.

As a side note Hestia has always been depicted with a veil over her head, go figure. I am sure there are going to be a great many posts in the future about this subject if I ever get through the wedding planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment