Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Bit of a Family Crisis

I as always apologize profusely for my lack of posting on this blog and as always my life off the computer has taken me away from my best intentions of posting something worth reading on this blog! October has just turned into a big pool of disappointment for me. I have totally given up for the reasons of this post trying not to complain; I'm pissed and I'm going to vent. Just thought I would give you all a warning.

My little sister has a heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. She was born without the left side of her heart, and also was missing her left lung. My parents were told by doctors that she would never survive. But; because of an experimental surgery (it's now become common practice among babies born with this defect) she has managed to live for now 19 years. Through 4 heart surgeries in total. She in fact just celebrated her 19th birthday yesterday. However due to a doctor's general lack of interest she is now in heart failure. She has been suffering from a distended stomach for some time now and my parents have been running her all over the area to get tests to find the problem and fix it. They did an ultrasound of her belly and my mother was told by Mr. Bigshot doctor's nurse (yeah he didn't even have time to make the call himself he made a nurse do it) that it was just air in there. Well my mother being adamant that we had already treated her for that and the treatment failed; took her to another less of a Mr. Bigshot doctor who looked at the radiologist's report and was told something totally different. She has fluid in her stomach because her heart is failing and we could have been doing something about it in July if it wasn't for the fact that this big shot doctor completely ignored the report that he was given and let her go on like nothing was wrong when she needed treatment. She has brain damage due to lack of oxygen at birth; she cannot tell us when something is wrong, we need to be vigilant and be able to rely on her doctors information to take care of these things. I am just livid right now that someone we have entrusted with the care of my sister has failed so badly. I know that there really isn't anything that I can do to change this and not being in control is just a huge pet peeve.

Poor little 'un and I both got a doozy of a cold on Friday and were too sick to participate in Halloween/Samhain this year. No trick or treating, no party, no ritual. Hopefully in a day or two I will have processed this and be on to better things. It's November and that means Thanksgiving is coming up. Here's to hoping it will take my mind off things.

No comments:

Post a Comment